Tuesday, November 17, 2009

After high school

Moving to Vancouver Washington was not so bad. What turned out bad were the people around. Everyone was so rude, in a hurry, and no happiness. Mind you I had just received my drivers license before moving to Vancouver, so not much experience in driving and now in a knew town. So, yes I was one of those who drove slower trying to read the signs as I go to find the place I was going too. I did find a job at a ma and pa restaurant. It was a fun job and I loved my regular customers. Towards the end of that summer, Vancouver summer fail was here. There were so many teenagers running around and driving as if they owned the road. I had ended my shift at work and was on my way home only to be followed by a car full of teenage boys. The made me feel very nervous and scared. As I continued to drive towards home the boys kept following me. Of course I was smart enough not to drive directly home as I was not sure what was on their agenda and I did not have a cell phone at that time. Finally, they had enough following me around as I was just going in circles. I made it home safe in tears and for the first time my mom really listened to me. We ended up moving in September of 1989 to Federal Way Washington, which is after Tacoma Washington and before Seattle Washington. This move was so uneventful due to mom become so outraged. We should up in the evening so everyone was tired and frustrated at that point. Mom had to have the truck unloaded that night. We did not have anyone helping us as it was late to begin with. So of course the drinking began and our night became one anger and frustrating night. We were not at that house for very long before moving again into another home. Yes, we moved around a lot. Between my sophomore and junior year of high school we moved 11 times. Mom was not good with money so rent was not paid on time or never paid. After the second move we had just barely settle in and I wanted to go to college. Of course mom said it again that I would never amount to anything and that I would not make it in college and if I did I had to pay for it. So I found a job working at Pioneer Pies as a server. I applied at Green River Community College. Yes, I said Green River community College were all the Green River raping happened. Was I scared – yes, especially when my classes were in the evening. One evening when leaving school my heart was already beating a mile a minute walking to my car but that night the fog was so thick. I remember calling home and talking to my dad to come and pick me up. Most dads I would think would come pick up there daughter but not mine. I cried all the way home. I finished that quarter to never return.

It was coming upon Christmas time and a girl friend and I decided to go into Seattle for a drive to look at all the Christmas lights. We are down town for my first time ever. We approached a red light and I ran through it. My girlfriend says do you realize that you just ran a red light. Yes, my brakes are not working. I learned to use my emergency break real fast. We are trying to find a gas station and there is none around. We keep driving and up a hill we go, knowing that the only way down is going back down the hill. We found a gas station so I could call my dad. I called my dad to see if he could pick us up and again no was the answer. What father would allow for his daughter to drive a car that has no brakes especially in Seattle Washington, oh mine would. Wiping away the tears and hiding the fear my friend and I begin to giggle are way home. We asked for directions to the freeway from the store clerk and on our way we were.

No comments:

Post a Comment